2nd year, 2nd Semester is the hardest so far. I went to a WWAMI Wives potluck a few weeks back and that's what all the other moms/wives had to say as well. First year was not much different than undergrad. Second year, first semester was a breeze. He mostly watched lectures online in the evenings (in double time no less!) and was able to stay home and help me with the baby. But this semester, 2nd year 2nd semester, he is required to attend several small group discussions and lectures throughout the week.

I am finding myself more often alone with the baby which is kind of hard because MY baby is a HANDFUL. I love him to death but OH MAN, he's got so much energy from the time he wakes up to the time he goes to sleep. Even when he's nursing he is kicking his feet around, pulling my fingers, or playing with the blanket.
To keep myself sane and to get some of his energy out, I have been looking online and in many Seattle area publications on things to do. The Red Tricycle site has awesome ideas: http://www.redtri.com/seattle. Seattle's Child magazine is also another great resource: http://seattleschild.com/. We also hang out at the Alderwood Mall where there is a nuthouse of a play area for kids which my son seems to enjoy. The Northgate Community Center has "Wear 'em Out" days on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And the Lake Forest Park Library is nice because in addition to checking out books, we can go upstairs and have fun in the Third Place Books kiddie play area.
My favorite place so far is the Tot Spot Cafe (above). I usually go in the afternoon and stay for an hour. There are other moms, dads, nannies, babysitters and babies to hang out with and lots of toys for the kids to play with. Their website is here: http://www.totspotcafe.com/. This is a picture on our second visit. He and the girl hit it off pretty nicely. He's turning out to be very social and good with other kids!
Soon it will be warmer out and my son will be more independently mobile - so I am looking forward to all the area parks and playgrounds we will get to visit. Don't get me wrong; Seattle winter is a BREEZE. I think it has only snowed TWICE this whole winter. Usually it is about 40-50 degrees out and it has actually been sunny, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Now I know why people think anyone who lives in Alaska is crazy; because we ARE for living in the cold and darkness for so long during our winters... oh well! I love Alaska. It's my home and where the majority of my family live. I doubt we'll ever live anyplace else. For now, though, it's fun exploring Seattle and the northwest coast.
Here is baby with his grampa and his very first snowfall.
Here we are exploring the Oregon coast after our visit to Alaska in December.
Big Sister on the Oregon coast somewhere north of Tillamook, Oregon
(yes the cheese place!)
Anyways. So I rarely blog here but wanted to post an update just for kicks. Please leave a comment if you like. I have no idea if anyone has even seen this spot. Thank you!
First family portrait with the new babe. January 2011.
No comments:
Post a Comment